Dental Cleanings in South Riding, VA
There is no doubt that proper at-home oral care plays a significant role in keeping your smile beautiful and healthy.
Even with the best practices at home, however, a professional dental cleaning twice a year is still vital for keeping dental disease at bay. The reason is that even the most meticulous brushing and flossing at home will not remove all plaque and tartar that builds up on your teeth and gum over time.
At Pinebrook Dentistry, we emphasize the importance of preventive services like dental cleanings and digital x-rays to stay ahead of dental decay and gum disease, allowing you to avoid costly and complicated dental treatments in the future. Gum disease can have severe consequences for your oral health. If not caught in its early stages during routine cleanings, gum disease can lead to loosening or even loss of your teeth. In fact, almost half of adult Americans suffer from a more advanced form of gum disease.
It's essential to stay on top of your oral health, so you don't have to undergo costly dental treatments.
- The Benefit of Dental Cleanings
- What Happens During a Dental Cleaning in South Riding, VA
- Your Comprehensive Dental Exam
- What Is Tooth Decay?
- Please Call Us for A Dental Appointment
The Benefit of Dental Cleanings
At Pinebrook Dentistry, we can’t stress the importance of keeping up with dental cleanings enough. While there are numerous benefits of maintaining regular dental checkups, the most common are:
- Even with regular brushing and flossing, only your dental hygienist can remove stains that dull and stain your teeth, so after your dental appointment your teeth look brighter and whiter
- Regular check-ups can prevent periodontal disease, which if untreated can lead to premature tooth loss
- Oral cancer affects millions of Americans every year, but many of these cases are preventable if detected at an early stage during your dental cleaning
- Over time, everyone gets a white film that sticks to their teeth called plaque. If plaque isn’t removed, it can cause tooth decay and cavities. Regular dental cleanings can remove plaque before it can cause damage
- Dr. Kim will check the alignment of your teeth and jawbone to look for signs of TMJ disorder, which is when you grind or clench your teeth. Unchecked TMJ leads to enamel erosion and cavities, or it can damage your teeth
- Since there is a strong link between heart disease and gum disease, preventing gum disease reduces your chances of a heart attack or stroke
- If you have had a filling or dental crown, your dentist can check to make sure your filling isn’t loose or broken, and that your dental crown is still a good fit
- If you are under an insurance provider, chances are your dental cleanings are covered.
- By practicing preventive dentistry, you can avoid costly dental procedures that may not be covered by your insurance If Dr. Kim finds dental problems during your dental cleaning and exam, we can work with our patients to make sure they don’t forego necessary dental procedures due to financial concerns
- During each dental visit, Dr. Kim will keep track of any changes or abnormalities, and she can compare your current oral health to previous dental visits
- Dental cleanings are an excellent time to address oral concerns, such as bad breath, tooth sensitivity, sudden pain, clenching or grinding, or snoring
To get the necessary dental care everyone needs, call our friendly dental team at Pinebrook Dentistry today to schedule your dental cleaning appointment. We offer compassionate, gentle, and meticulous dental care in South Riding.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning in South Riding, VA
During a professional dental cleaning, we remove plaque, tartar, and stains from your teeth. Plaque is a film made up of food debris and bacteria that form on all surfaces of the teeth throughout the day. This biofilm is the major cause of dental decay and gum disease.
Thoroughly brushing and flossing twice a day will remove most of the plaque build-up, but some are still left in hard-to-reach areas. When you don't remove plaque in a timely fashion, it hardens into what is called tartar. Tartar is typically found above and below the gum line and is responsible for bad breath and gum disease. Once formed, only a dental professional can remove tartar using special instruments.
The final step of your professional dental cleaning is polishing. Polishing not only removes surface stains but also creates a smooth surface on your teeth to make it difficult for plaque to accumulate quickly.
Dental cleanings are generally painless and routine, but if you are anxious about your check-up, please let us know. We practice sedation dentistry so that our patients can enjoy a comfortable and relaxing dental treatment.
Your Comprehensive Dental Exam
Dr. Gloria Kim performs professional dental cleanings and exams at Pinebrook Dentistry. A thorough dental exam is performed to check for signs of dental decay, infection, sores, gum disease, and oral cancer.
A set of digital x-rays are taken at appropriate intervals to aid in identifying dental disease at its earliest stages. Dr. Kim also provides personalized at-home oral care recommendations for each patient, depending on their specific areas of concern. In the presence of the more advanced form of gum disease, Dr. Kim will recommend deep cleaning on some or all areas of your mouth.
We may recommend fluoride treatment and dental sealants for children to prevent dental decay. Dr. Gloria Kim is incredibly caring and gentle, and she wants to make sure that you are comfortable while receiving a thorough dental cleaning. If needed, she will use a needle-free anesthetic to ensure that your cleanings are as pleasant as possible.
What Is Tooth Decay?
Tooth decay is a leading cause of cavities and tooth loss. During tooth decay, the outer layer of your tooth, your enamel, is covered by a sticky, whitish, film of bacteria known as plaque. Plaque is continually trying to cover our teeth, especially after you eat or drink anything with sugar. If plaque is allowed to cover your teeth, it can start to break down your enamel, which is how cavities can form.
While cavities are prevalent among children, adults can also suffer from aging or diet issues. If gums start to recede or pull away from the tooth, the tooth root becomes exposed to air and risk of infection and decay. If you notice sudden sensitivity to hot or cold foods, give us a call right away to determine if your roots are exposed.
If you have had a filling, tooth decay can happen around the edges of the repair. Without fluoride treatments or dental cleanings, the fillings can weaken over time and crack around the edges—letting harmful bacteria in and allowing for decay. Tooth decay does not have to be devastating, but if left untreated, it can have drastic effects on your smile.
To prevent costly and devastating dental issues, we urge our South Riding patients to practice preventive dentistry.
Please Call Us for A Dental Appointment
Dental cleanings provide a simple way to prevent dental decay and gum disease from developing in the first place and give you a healthy smile that you can be proud of. Please call our South Riding, VA dental office, and a member of our team will help you set up your next dental cleaning and exam at a time that is convenient for you.